Contest Rules & Guidelines for Entry
Iron Composer Competition
September 26, 2014
1st Prize, $1,000+
2nd Prize, $350
3rd Prize, $300
4th Prize, $250
5th Prize, $200
* The purse consists of a $500 cash prize and a $500 commission for a new work to be performed by Blue Water Chamber Orchestra on their 2014-2015 season.
* There is no entry fee.
* The contest is open to composers of all ages.
* Submit a score and a bio to email@example.com.
* Include your name, address, phone number, and email.
* Entry deadline is July 20, 2014.
NOTE: You will receive a confirmation email from the contest director, Joe Drew, when your entry is complete. If you do not receive a confirmation, please email or call (917) 291-1598. Many common questions are answered at our FAQ page.
Five finalists will be selected on or before July 26, 2014. Finalists will be given free housing with a local host.
Iron Composer Competition Rules and Procedures
* Finalists must arrive by 2 p.m. on September 25, 2014 for a public symposium of their work.
* Finalists must participate in the event on September 26, 2014 between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.
* Finalists will be assigned an instrumentation and the Secret Musical Ingredient at 9 a.m.
* Finalists will have five hours to complete a score and parts.
* Finalists will have access to a private studio with a piano.
* All composition must stop at 2:30 p.m.
* Finalists will be penalized 3 points if they use more than five hours to finish writing. An additional 2-point penalty will be assessed for each half-hour of extra time needed.
* Each finalist will receive 30 minutes of rehearsal time for their piece.
* All works will be performed and judged at 8 p.m. on a public concert, which will be broadcast live on WCLV 104.9 FM and simulcast online.
* A panel of three judges will evaluate the entries. Scoring is based on the following 50-point system:
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 15 points Originality: 15 points Technical Command: 10 points Overall Presentation: 10 points
* Prizes will be awarded based on the number of points earned out of the available 150.
* In case of a tie, the contestant who scores higher on the Use of the Secret Ingredient and Originality will be awarded the prize.
* The decision of the judges is final.