September 4, 2015
Baldwin Wallace University
1st Prize, $1,000+
2nd Prize, $350
3rd Prize, $300
4th Prize, $250
5th Prize, $200
* The purse consists of a $500 cash prize and a $500 commission for a new work to be performed by Blue Water Chamber Orchestra on their 2015-2016 season.
* There is no entry fee.
* The contest is open to composers of all ages.
* Submit a score and a bio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Include your name, address, phone number, and email.
* Entry deadline is July 6, 2015.
Iron Composer Competition Rules and Procedures
* Finalists must arrive by 2 p.m. on September 3, 2015 for a public symposium of their work.
* Finalists must participate in the competition on September 4, 2015 between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.
* Finalists will be assigned an instrumentation and the Secret Musical Ingredient at 9 a.m.
* Finalists will have five hours to complete a score and parts.
* Finalists will have access to a private studio with a piano.
* All composition must stop at 2:30 p.m.
* Finalists will be penalized 3 points if they use more than five hours to finish writing. An additional 2-point penalty will be assessed for each half-hour of extra time needed.
* Each finalist will receive 30 minutes of rehearsal time for their piece.
* All works will be performed and judged at 8 p.m. on a public concert, which will be broadcast live on WCLV 104.9 FM and simulcast online.
Thursday, September 3, 2015
5:30-7:00 p.m. – Kulas Hall (Room K115), Baldwin Wallace Conservatory
The finalists will discuss their music and careers. This is a great opportunity to meet the composers and learn more about their styles!
Competition and Concert
Friday, September 4, 2015
9 a.m. – Opening Ceremony, Chamber Hall
The instrumentation and the secret musical ingredient are revealed!
8 p.m. – Concert, Gamble Auditorium, Kulas Hall
All five composers have their music performed live in concert and on the radio. Prizes are awarded and the title of Iron Composer is bestowed!
|Baldwin Wallace College
96 Front Street
Can’t make it to Cleveland? Listen to the Iron Composer competition broadcast live on Cleveland’s classical music station WCLV and available through their website, www.wclv.com.
You can support Iron Composer by purchasing a copy of Thanks for the Lobster & other Regina Music Box Favorites. Every song and album sold directly benefits Iron Composer! For liner notes, photos, and more information about the album, click here.